Acer and Asus are two of the biggest brands in the computing industry. And whilst you’d be mistaken in thinking they’re very similar, there are some differences between them that you should be aware of before you settle on either brand.
In general, Asus is considered to be the more expensive, better quality of the two brands. In the past, Acer have had a better reputation with their customer service, but this still hasn’t stopped them becoming one of the bestsellers of Chromebooks. So, there has to be something about Acer that keeps their happy customers returning.
But which of these is the better brand for someone looking for a laptop? Well, let’s compare the two brands and see which one is better.
Acer vs Asus
So, we’ll take a look at the pros of each brand to see where each one edges the other. Then we’ll take a look at some of the most popular laptops from each brand and compare them against each other.
Pros of Asus Laptops
- Customer service – In all honesty, neither of these brands ave amazing customer service and they’re pretty comparable in terms of this. However, I’d definitely say that out of the two, Asus have the better customer service. Acer are pretty much known for having bad customer service, which some people don’t mind because their products are so cheap.
- Longevity – If you’re after a laptop that’s going to be with you for a while, then Asus is the better choice. Their laptops are more long lasting in general, so if you don’t want to have to get a new laptop any time soon, then they’ll likely make a better choice than Acer laptops.
- Design – The difference in design is often subjective, but generally people tend to agree than Asus laptops are better made than Acer laptops. This is mainly because Acer aren’t really focussed on appearance, and they’re more focussed on usability. But, you’re unlikely to find many attractive Acer’s around. Although Asus aren’t quite as attractive as HP laptops, they are still a step up on Acer.
Pros of Acer Laptops
- Price – Generally, Acer laptops tend to be available at a cheaper price than Asus. Though there isn’t too much in it, they do tend to be a little bit cheaper, which is good if you’re on a tight budget.
- Specs – To be honest, Acer get a really bad rap for their pretty poor customer service and the poor design of their laptops. But the specifications of the laptops themselves are actually decent, and if you’re looking for good value-to-specs, then Acer can be a good way to get a lot of laptop for a cheap price.
One of the main problems with both of these brands actually is the lack of customer service. They’re both known for having pretty poor after sales support, which is one reason why you might want to look at another brand. If you want the best customer support possible, then it’s better to look at brands like Dell and Lenovo.
Acer vs Asus – E15 or Vivobook F510UA?
Whilst both of these laptops are very similar prices, there are some differences between them that might make one of them more suitable for you than the other one. They both use good Intel i5 core processors, which makes them an even match up for each other.
The specs themselves are almost identical, and everything from the GPU to the screen, they go pretty much blow for blow in terms of how equal they are. The Asus come with a 1TB hard drive, which is something you’ll need for most laptops. It’s hard to find many differences between these two models in terms of performance, as they are pretty equal.
One of the main differences between the two if that the Asus is 30% lighter than the Acer – they manage to pack the same amount of power into a much smaller package, which is typical of Asus (or perhaps more typical of big, bulky Acer’s!). All in all, from a perfromance perspective, there isn’t a great deal of difference between these two. But from an appearance perspective, the Asus has the upper hand, which is standard for their laptops.
Overall, Asus is the clear winner if you’re looking for the better laptop brand. Their customer service is better, and the quality of the laptop is typically better in most of the models. This being said, Acer still has it’s place as the king of cheap laptops, so for people on a budget, then Acer is always going to be the better choice. So quite simply; if you want the better laptop go Asus, and if you want the better laptop on a budget, go Acer.