A coaxial cable is essential to any television format, and nowadays they’re mainly used for connecting satellite TV or for audio. They’re relatively cheap, and although a lot of the time you should get a coax cable with whatever you’re trying to connect (be it phone, or cable TV), sometimes you’ll need to get yourself a new one. But, if you do need a new one, is it worth buying something expensive? Or should you just pick up a cheap coaxial cable?
Well, for the most part, coaxial cables don’t cost too much anyway, especially nowadays when they’ve increased in popularity in comparison to RCA and optical cables. So, they won’t be a massive investment, and you can usually find them at a pretty cheap price. Here are a couple of cheap options for a decent quality coax.
Best Coaxial Cable for Modem
Amazon Basics Coaxial Cable
- 75 OHM RG6 coaxial A/V cable with 2 nickel-plated F-type male connectors; safe for use indoors or out; UL-rated for in-wall use
- Connects TVs, VCRs, cable modems, satellite receivers, off-air antennas, and other devices with F-type ports
- Clear audio/visual without background noise from electromagnetic (EM) and radio frequency (RF) interference
Although some people might tell you to avoid the Amazon Basics range, personally I’ve never had any issues with anything they’ve produced. They generally make some of the cheapest options for pretty much any product, and it’s the same when it comes to coaxial cables too.
What’s the best thing about Amazon Basics? Well, they have a really wide variety of different options available. This means that you have a wide variety of different lengths of coax cable to buy. This means that you can get any cable length you want pretty easily without having to worry about having excess on the cable, as they make it in a ton of different lengths.
As with most coax cables, this one has aluminium shielding. As you might have expected, this is designed to shield your cable from damage. This can help improve your experience when watching your HDTV, as you won’t continually have to check the signal as long as you’ve setup everything properly.
Another good thing about these cables is that they’re very easy to connect as well, and you won’t need any tools to connect them. If you’re looking for something simple to use, then these cheap cables would be a good choice.
Postta Digital Coaxial Cable
- High quality Quad-shielding Coaxial cable can connects Satellite Receivers, cable modem, Antennas, cable TV,digital router and other devices.
- Quad-shielding (aluminum foil and braid shielding) can minimize crosstalk,suppress noise,and protect against electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI).
- 99.99% Oxygen Free Copper conductor can provides excellent conductivity and ensure optimum signal transfer.
If you’re considering another cheap Coaxial cable option, then it’s worth looking at this Postta Coax. It’s very similar in design to the Amazon Basics coaxial, but it provides another decent cheap option. You can pick this one up in a variety on lengths between 4m up to 100m, so you can get whatever size you want depending on your needs. And for a cheap price, you’re getting a decent coaxial cable.
This coaxial cable is quad shielded. What exactly does this mean? Well, essentially this just means that the cable has four layers of shielding, hence the quad aspect. Typically, a cable might only have dual shielding. This is usually enough, and in the majority of circumstances quad shielding is actually overkill for what you’re going to use it for. However, some people do still prefer to have piece of mind, which is why quad shielded cables are popular. So, this is another positive that this coax cable has too.
Although there isn’t too much of a difference between coaxial cables, this is another decent option if you’re looking for something cheap and easy to use.
KabelDirekt Coaxial Cable
- AUDIO VIDEO COAXIAL CABLE: Double shielded coax cable with thick aluminum braiding insulation and alu mylar foil for a reliable AV connection
- OXYGEN FREE COPPER: Provides maximum signal power and efficiency, and reduces strain to extend the lifetime of the cable
- F TYPE CONNECTOR PINS: Perfect for Male to Male cable televisions (CATV), satellite television receivers, VCRs, cable boxes, cable modems, digital router and antenna connectors
Finally, another option worth considering if you’re looking for a good coax cable is this KabelDirekt option. The good thing about this brand is that they’re so confident in their products that they come with an 18 month warranty, which protects you from anything going wrong within a few months of setting the coax up.
You’ll probably notice that these coax cables use gold plated connectors, which is one of the big selling points that a lot of brands use nowadays. Is gold plated actually that much better? Well, not really in my opinion. The only thing that gold plating will do is protect you against corrosion, which is unlikely with coaxial cables anyway. But, it can be a good choice for those that want this kind of protection.
So although this coaxial cable doesn’t really bring anything new to the equation, they definitely provide another alternative to the others already mentioned.
The Cimple Co Extra Long Coaxial Cable
- CLASSIFICATION - Solid conductor 18awg RG6 10ft coaxial (direct burial) cable with orange, high visible PVC jacket and two foil shield for soil acidity protection plus rubber weather boots for moisture tolerance
- USAGE - Perfect for f-connector coax connections including High Def TV/ CATV Dish/ DirecTV satellite installations/ cable internet modem/ outdoor video security camera/ long range WIFI antennas/ video signal transmission/ cellular signal booster and other high frequency digital audio
- ANTI-CORROSION CONNECTORS - Features weather grommets and a self collapsing design with anti rust high quality metal plated shells with an 18mm stroke length
If you need a really long coaxial cable that you can bury easily underground without worrying about it getting damaged, then this is a great option. Other coaxial cables won’t be durable enough to be used for this kind of purpose, so it’s really important that you get the right cable for the job. It enables a high quality connection, and it’s ideal for using with things like satellites and tv aerials. Just because it’s design to ensure any weather, doesn’t mean you have to use it outdoors – it would do just as well indoors, too. This is the best pick of the bunch if you’re looking for a durable coaxial cable.
What to Consider Before Buying a Coaxial Cable
When you’re buying a coaxial cable, there are a few things you’ll want to know beforehand. This can make it a little easier to know what coaxial cable you should end up opting for.
The Length of the Cable
One of the most important things about any sort of cable is the length. Depending on what length is is that you need, you’ll find a lot of different lengths available, from a few feet to a hundred feet. So, it depends if you need a short coaxial cable or you’re just looking for something small to connect something within the same room.
Depending on what you’re needing, coaxial cables will have different connectors depending on what exactly it is you need. For most people (and for TVs), an F-type cable will be the connector that you need. For anything like TVs and satellite receivers, you’re going to need an F type connector for your coaxial cable.
Generally when you’re buying cables, you want to ensure that they’re of a decent enough quality. Although most people will tell you you must buy gold plated connector, this isn’t always the case and for most people, nickel plating will be fine. Generally, I’m more concerned about the quality of the cable itself as opposed to the cable connector.
best coaxial cable
best coaxial cable
When you choose which coax cables to use with your HDTV, then it makes sense that you get the best coax cables that you can. Typically, these cables are one of the most overlooked parts of the full antenna installation and they’re great for shielding you from signal loss and interference, and overall improving your experience. You can easily connect your coax to your HDTV just as you would with a regular TV.
Checking the Signal
Types of Coaxial Cable
When we’re talking about coaxial cables, it’s important to know the correct type of coaxial cable we want. There are a few different types, so it’s worth knowing the difference so that you get the correct type for you.
- RG6 – An RG6 coaxial cable refers to everything on this list, and it’s what we refer to as a coax most of the time. They’re mainly used for cable TV and are the most common kind of coaxial cable.
- Another type of coaxial cable is known as a hard line coax, which is used for things like radio transmitters, due to high strength of the signal you can get from this type of cable.
- You also get both tri-axial and twin-axial coaxial cables, which offer something different from your standard coax.
What is an RG59?
RG59 RG59 RG59 RG59 RG59
All in all, these are just coaxial cables and to be honest, there isn’t a great deal of difference between them. However, it’s still important to make sure that you get the right option for you, of which the majority are pretty similar in the way they’re made. So, you won’t generally need to worry about getting the perfect coaxial cable too much, as long as you’re opting for anything in this list.
Last update on 2020-08-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API