A pencil sharpener is an essential item for any artist or child. Although some people prefer manual pencil sharpeners, electric sharpeners allow you to easily ensure you’re pencil gets shaved evenly. Plus, you don’t have to worry about those horrible shavings that come with using a manual pencil sharpener too (I’m getting flashback to my school years!). But if you’re looking for an electric pencil sharpener, are they all relatively similar or are some models better than others?
Well, although electric pencil sharpeners are very similar to each other, some of them are better than others. So, here are a few of the best options if you’re looking for a good quality electric pencil sharpener.
Best Electric Pencil Sharpener
X-Acto School Pro
- Heavy duty electric pencil sharpener designed specifically for classrooms
- Durable construction stands up to wear and tear
- Quiet electric motor provides reliable power with minimal disruption; No electrical draw when not in use
This X-Acto pencil sharpener is heavy duty, so you definitely won’t need to worry about it breaking. Some pencil sharpeners can be flimsy and frustrating, because you feel like you’re going to break it every time you use it. This isn’t the case with the X-Acto, which you can easily use without much worry. This means that if you’re trying to sharpen a ton of pencils within a short time frame, then this is likely to be a great choice for that.
Another reason that I particularly like this model is that it’s extremely quiet. Whilst it might not think it would matter to you how loud your pencil sharpener is, try using a noisy one! Typically, motor run sharpeners are quite loud, and they can be horrible to listen too, especially if you have a mass of pencils to sharpen. So, a quiet sharpener is always a bonus too. Overall, this is probably my first choice for an electric sharpener. It’s quiet and durable enough to last, and although it’s design for the classroom or office, it would also make a good option for your home too.
PowerMe Pencil Sharpener
- THE PERFECT CHOICE! Whether you are an artist, teacher, student, or business man, the Power Me pencil sharpener is the best choice for you, the combination between the beautiful design and the high-quality materials make it perfect for commercial use, classroom, executive use, desktop or office atmosphere. Table Mount Vertical space saving design fits comfortably on any size desk.
- TO LAST Crafted from high-quality materials The Power Me electric pencil sharpener gives you up to 3000 times of sharpening without wearing out, with The Heavy Duty, ultra-durable high- grade stainless steel helical blade it takes only 3 seconds to sharpen. Never replace a dull blade again! By being Compact and lightweight, you can take it where ever you need to.
- SAFETY FOR YOUR KIDS! - Our innovative, auto-stop safety feature prevents this pencil sharpener from being used if the lid is removed. That means no risk for your fingers, which makes it an ideal choice for classrooms with your young kids. The Large transparent Shavings Reservoir Rarely needs emptying and can be cleaned easily, simply remove the shavings tray, and empty it into a wastebasket.
Unlike what some people think, the majority of electric pencil sharpeners don’t actually use a cord – they’re actually battery powered. This makes things a lot simpler, as you don’t need to worry about having your sharpener near a plug. Plus, you get the bonus of them being portable too. This PowerMe pencil sharpener is great if you’re looking for something portable, because although it’s quite powerful and works well, it’s lightweight and small enough that you can easily pack it into your bag.
The PowerMe has the largest claimed amount of sharpens before you’re going to have to replace the battery. It can last up to 3000 times before you’re even going to have to consider replacing the battery, which is great if you’re looking for something with longevity.
It also has an automatic stop feature which activates if the lid of the sharpener is removed. This is great peace of mind if you have young kids, as you won’t have to worry about them taking the lid off and trying to sharpen their fingers! This is another good choice if you’re looking for a basic pencil sharpener.
OfficeGoods Electric Pencil Sharpener
- GET THE PERFECTLY EVEN POINT YOU WANT: Tired of a lopsided pencil point? Our pencil sharpener will give you the point you want. That dreaded leftover wood is gone! Get the BEST pencil point you have ever had for your colored, graphite and standard #2 pencils. Great for the office, artists, kids and everyone that needs and wants a dependable pencil point.
- SAFETY FEATURE IS KID FRIENDLY: Children can safely use the pencil sharpener as it has a unique safety tab that stops the pencil sharpener from working when the shaving cover is removed.
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE: Small desk? The sharpeners footprint is small and it can fit almost anywhere and it is mighty and sharpens a new pencil in 10-15 seconds. Take it where ever you need to, such as your workshop, the park, or to your art class.
If you’re an artist and you have a wide variety of different pencils, then this is probably going to be a good choice. Anyone who uses pencils to draw a lot will know that you’re not always going to want a perfectly sharp pencil. Sometimes, you want something duller or even pretty blunt, but sharp enough to work (if that makes sense!). This sharpener has three different settings, so if you don’t want things perfectly sharp, then you have the option to sharpen your pencil to a different level.
One of the main benefits of this sharpener is that you have the ability to power it in a multitude of different ways. So whilst it definitely works as a battery powered sharpener, you can also use via an AC adapter, or you can use it with a USB too. This means that you can easily plug it into your computer or laptop to get it working, which is another handy feature. Overall, this adds another decent quality electric sharpener to the list too.
- SUPER SAFE AUTO-STOP BLADE OPERATION: Sharpen with confidence! When the pencil is sharpened, the blade stops automatically. If the shavings tray is opened during sharpening, the blade stops instantly to protect fingers, large and small. Officeline is proud to offer the very best pencil sharpener in the portable pencil sharpener category
- BATTERY OPERATED AND HIGHLY PORTABLE: Four AA batteries power this premium compact pencil sharpener. Slip it in your bag and take it everywhere. This battery-operated pencil sharpener is great for artists on the go who often need a colored pencil sharpener. This one can handle all but the softest of colored pencil leads.
- PREMIUM STAINLESS STEEL HELICAL BLADE: This razor sharp blade is much more durable than standard pencil sharpener blades. Sharpen one pencil after another and get a uniform fine point every time. The Officeline is the very best electric pencil sharpener for putting a perfect point on most pencils, including colored pencils with hard leads, golf pencils and drafting pencils.
Finally, this OfficePro sharpener rounds of the list as another safe option if you’re looking for something compact. It has a vertical design as opposed to horizontal, which means it’s going to take up less room on your desk. It uses a sharp blade, meaning that it’s generally going to sharpen much faster than your typical sharpener.
If you have expensive pencils and you’re worried about them getting damaged in a cheap pencil sharpener, then you don’t have to worry about that with this model. It’s designed to keep pencils sharp, which is especially important with coloring pencils, as it’s necessary to keep them sharp when you’re using them.
Maybe the best thing about this model is that because of it’s design, you’re going to have to empty it far less than other models. With some others, you’ll need to empty them often so that the shavings don’t reach blade level. But because if this ones horizontal design, this isn’t a problem. Overall, this is another good choice for a pencil sharpener.
What to think about when buying an Electric Pencil Sharpener
When you’re purchasing anything, you’ll want to make sure that you’re getting the right option for you. Even with a seemingly insignificant purchase such as an electric pencil sharpener, it’s still worth considering thinking about what you want from your purchase. Here’s a few things to think about prior to buying.
Colored Pencils for Art
If you’ve never bought expensive art pencils before, then it might be difficult to understand the value of a pencil. But, it can be really frustrating if you can’t sharpen your colored pencil enough, or if you try to sharpen your pencil and it ends up breaking. So, it’s important to get a good quality sharpener if you’re going to be using it with expensive art pencils.
Generally, an electric pencil sharpener will be powered by batteries. They should be able to last you a long while (at least a few thousand pencils worth of sharpening) before they run out. However, not all electric sharpeners are battery powered, so it’s worth ensuring this before you buy – some sharpeners are USB or cable powered, which may or may not be better for you.
As with any purchase, the price is going to have to be considered before you buy. Fortunately, electric pencil sharpeners tend to be relatively cheap, and you can pick up a decent quality sharpener for between $10-20. There’s really little point in spending more than this, unless you’re looking for something fancy.
Are Electric Pencil Sharpeners any good?
You might be trying to decide between your average pencil sharpener and an electric one, and whether it’s worth investing in an electric sharpener. Well, it really depends on how regularly you’re going to be using your pencil sharpener. If you’re going to be using it on a daily basis, then you’ll definitely want to think about getting an electric sharpener.
The reason being is that electric pencil sharpeners make things much easier if you’re trying to sharpen a ton of pencils or you’re sharpening them on a regular basis. They work pretty much the same as a regular sharpener, so there’s not much difference in how sharp you can get your pencil either. But for convenience sake, an electric pencil sharpener is definitely worth your investment.
Overall, getting a decent pencil sharpener is undoubtedly worthwhile. Once you invest in it once, then it will last you a long time and you won’t have to worry about buying another one, as typically they last a long time. Of course, this is providing you take care of the sharpener properly and don’t let it get overrun with shavings! But, if you’re interested in drawing or art in any way, then a good pencil sharpener will need to be part of your artillery.
Last update on 2019-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API