Getting a printer for your own home can make life a lot easier. No more having to print out documents at the office or at the library. However, one of the main drawbacks of printers is that the ink can be extremely cost. Fortunately, not all printer ink is expensive, and if you get the right printer, then you’ll be able to find some cheap ink that goes with it.
But where do you begin looking for a printer with cheap ink? Well, fortunately I can help you out with that. There are a few different printers currently available that are varied in price, but you can usually find cheap ink for them. So, let’s take a look.
Best Printer for Home (with Cheap Ink!)
HP Color LaserJet Pro Multifunction M479fdw – My Number 1 Choice
- BUILT TO KEEP YOUR BUSINESS MOVING FORWARD Print, scan, copy and fax consistently high quality documents with the HP Color LaserJet Pro Multifunction M479fdw, a wireless printer designed to let you focus on growing your business
- BEST-IN-CLASS SECURITY A suite of embedded security features, like instant threat notifications and optional PIN/Pull printing, help protect your color laser printer from being an entry point for attacks and help ensure the safety of your sensitive data
- AUTOMATE COMPLICATED WORKFLOWS Help save time by automating all the steps in a complicated workflow, and apply your saved settings at a touch of a button via the customizable touchscreen control panel. Dimensions Maximum (W X D X H)-16.8 x 25.7 x 16.3 inches
If you’re looking for the best cheap printer, then I’d advise you to opt for the LaserJet Pro from HP. Now, this isn’t an ink printer, so it doesn’t have cheap ink, but hear me out.
Laser printers are known for being more expensive than inkjet printers, And yes, whilst this printer may be a little more expensive than an inkjet printer, you’re going to save a ton in printing costs. Over the years, if you print even fairly often, a laser printer works out far cheaper than an inkjet printer. And this is one of the best laser printers you’ll find on the current market. It comes with a full warranty for your peace of mind, too.
This printer will printer faster than an inkjet printer, has a higher level of security and it’s also a copier, scanner and fax machine. It’s pretty much everything you could ask for, and if you’re looking for the best printer, then this is definitely one worth considering.
Epson EcoTank ET-4750 – Alternative Cheap Ink Printer
- Epson strongly recommends the use of Genuine Epson inks for a quality printing experience. Non Epson inks and inks not formulated for your specific printer may cause damage that is not covered by the Epson warranty.
- Cartridge-free printing - comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box (1).
- Includes enough ink to Print up to 14, 000 pages black/11, 200 color (2) - equivalent to about 30 ink cartridge sets (3).
The ET-4750 is one of, if not the best option around if you’re looking to cut ink costs down to a bare minimum. If you purchase it, it comes with a ton of ink, which should last at least a year, with it lasting around 2 years for those who use it fairly regularly.
Although the ET-4750 might cost slightly more than your standard budget printer, you’re going to save a lot in printing costs, especially if you print a lot throughout the year. Some budget printers can cost unnecessary hundreds of dollars over the course of the year, however the EcoTank works against this, with a refillable ink system which helps to keep costs to a bare minimum.
Another thing to note about the ET-4750 is that it’s actually reasonably lightweight and compact. So, you don’t need to worry about a big and bulky printer taking up half of the space beneath your computer or on your desk. All in all, the ET-4750 is one of the best choices around if you want a fairly low cost printer that you don’t need to worry about high ink costs.
HP OfficeJet 3830
- Main functions of this HP color inkjet photo printer: copy, scan, fax, wireless printing, AirPrint, touchscreen, Instant Ink ready so you'll never run out of ink, and more
- The power of your printer in the palm of your hand: The HP Smart app allows you to easily set up your printer, scan from your smartphone, order toner, and print from the cloud—such as iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive
- Ink delivered to your home: get your first 2 months free when you enroll in HP Instant Ink (optional) during printer set up; plans starting at $2.99 per month after the trial period, shipping and recycling included
The HP OfficeJet is a good option if you’re looking for a printer with lower ink costs. However to get the best out of the OfficeJet at a low running cost, you’ll have to sign up to one of HP’s subscription packages, which can definitely save you money in the long run.
The OfficeJet has a small 2 inch touchscreen which will allow you to change the settings easily on your printer to whatever you desire. It will also let you know when your printer is low on ink too. It’s an all-in-one printer, so you can use it for scanning, copying but you can also use it for faxing too (yes, people still fax sometime!). You can set the entire printer up with the HP smart app too, which makes things much easier if you want to make any adjustments (or print directly from your phone, too).
Overall, the HP Officejet provides another cheap option if you’re looking for a budget printer. To get the cheapest ink possible, you’ll need to sign up with the HP Ink service, which will keep costs lower than the competition.
- UP TO 1 YEAR OF INK IN BOX: Using the MFCJ995DW cartridges provided, get exceptional savings and uninterrupted printing for up to 1 year(1)
- INKVESTMENT TANK SYSTEM: Reengineered ink cartridges hold more ink and work with an internal ink storage tank to deliver uninterrupted printing. Operating System Compatibility- PC-Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7,Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 Mac- OS X v10.11.6, 10.12.x, 10.13.x
- ELIMINATE INK REPLACEMENT GUESSWORK: Brother intelligent Page Gauge(2) lets you know the amount of ink you’ve used and the amount remaining
Another good option if you want an inkjet printer is the MFC-J995DW. It will usually come with around a years worth of ink included with the printer itself, so you won’t need to worry about buying tons of ink to go with it. Much like the EcoTank that Epson printers use, Brother have created their own cost effective version of this. They’ve created larger capacity ink cartridges, which make it much more cost effective in the long run. If you’re only printing in black and white, then you’re going to be able to keep costs down to less than a $0.01 a page, which is pretty good going for printing costs.
It’s very easy to set this Brother printer up with your laptop or phone via a wireless connection. It has a 150 page paper tray capacity, which is about standard for this type of printer. Overall, this is a pretty good alternative to those mentioned already, and it’s fairly cheap on ink, too.
Canon Pixma MX922 – Cheap Printer, Expensive Ink
- Features: Wireless LAN, AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, Wireless, Printing, Mobile Device Printing, USB 2.0 Hi Speed: Plug the cable into your PC for a super fast connection for your data transfers
- Fully-Integrated, 35-sheet Duplex Auto Document Feeder: Easily copy, scan and fax multiple documents without having to load them one page at a time
- Built-In Auto Duplex Printing: Automatically print on both sides of the page without the hassle of turning it over manually
Another good option if you’re looking for a printer for home use is the Canon MX922 – however, it’s not particularly good for those that are trying to minimize ink costs. You can usually pick up a dual color and black set on Amazon for around $50-60, so it can be worth waiting until it goes on sale before you make a purchase. You’ll also get the added bonus that if one of your ink cartridges runs out, then the printer will still work without having to purchase a new one – this means you can continue using the black ink if your color runs out. But, this is still really expensive for ink, so it’s not suitable for those that are going to be printing a lot.
The Pixma series are definitely some of the best choices around if you’re looking for cost effective printers without having to worry about the quality. You can use it both wirelessly and with a cable if you want to avoid going wireless.
Of course, one of the main selling points of the MX922 is that it’s an All-in-one printer. So, you can use it for all your printing needs, but it also trebles up as a scanner and as a copier too. This minimizes the need to purchase more stuff for your home or office, which can definitely prove useful later down the line. Overall, if you’re looking for a cheap all-in-one that isn’t going to cost you an arm and a leg, then you can consider this model from the Pixma line.
What to Consider Before Buying a Printer
Before you purchase any printer, it’s definitely worth considering a few things beforehand. Doing this can allow you to ensure that you’re getting the right printer for your needs, so here’s a few things to think about.
Inkjet vs Laser
An inkjet printer isn’t for everyone, and you’ll want to decide between that and a laser printer. They’re both individually better for different things – for example, an inkjet is better for photo printing, whereas a laser printer will be a better choice if you’re going to be printing a lot of documents. So, depending on your needs, one will be better than the other. Inkjets are usually a little cheaper than laser printers, so for the home, they’re usually the best option.
Another thing to consider when you’re purchasing a printer is the price. Not just the price of the ink cartridges, but the price of the printer itself. Generally, higher quality printers can cost quite a bit more than your standard budget printer, but these aren’t really necessary for most people. A budget printer is likely to be the best choice for the majority of people, because they don’t need to be particularly complex.
Overall, these are just some of the printers that are currently available if you’re looking at getting yourself a new one for your home. There are other options out there if you’re looking for more monochrome laser printers or you’d rather have a small and portable printer – it really depends on what you need. However if you’re looking for something with cheap ink, then these are some of the best options you’ll find. Getting the right printer is really important, especially if you’re trying to cut costs – so make sure you get a good deal for you.
You do need to consider how often you’re going to be printing, and whether a printer with low ink costs might actually not be worth it for you. Typically, these types of printers do cost more than those with higher ink costs, but if you’re only printing occasionally, those ink costs won’t run up. But if you’re continuously printing throughout the year, then you’ll definitely want to get a printer with cheap ink.
Last update on 2020-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API