HP and Lenovo are the two biggest brands within the computing industry. For a few years back in 2013, Lenovo actually overtook HP as the industry leader with the most sales, though this only lasted for a few years.
Nowadays, if you’re in the market for a new laptop or computer, then it can be difficult to know what the best brand to get is. After you’ve ruled out Apple for their crazy spec-to-price ratio (although they are easy to use, I’ll give them that) then Lenovo and HP and two brands that you should look at. This is especially true if you’re trying to save some cash (if this is the case, you should probably look at Acer and Asus as well).
So, what makes HP and Lenovo two of the biggest brands around? And how do they match up if you compare them against each other? Well, let’s take a look at the two brands, then break things down and looking at some of their best products individually, too.
HP vs Lenovo – Brands Compared
Whilst HP laptops are generally considering as better, Lenovo is the choice for those looking for the best value for momey. The Lenovo Thinkpad is proof that you can get an amazing laptop at a much lower price than you would pay for a HP laptop.
In all honesty, there isn’t a great deal between these two brands and they’re actually very similar to each other in terms of specifications. If you go through their entire ranges and match up their models, then they usually range around the same prices if you’re looking at comparable quality. Generally, you shouldn’t decide on the perfect laptop for you based around the brand only anyway – you should take a deeper look at the specifications of each laptop and then decide.
To put it simply, I’ll compare the Pros of each brand (in a very general sense). Then, we’ll take a quick look at a model from each and compare them against each other.
Why HP is Better
There are a couple of reasons why generally, you might want to opt for a HP laptop over a Lenovo.
- Design – The design of HP laptops is much better than Lenovo laptops, so aesthetically they are a much better option if you’re looking for something that’s good to look at. However, there are those that like the standard no nonsense Lenovo design, which is why the Thinkpad has become so popular not only in the US, but globally.
- Monitor Display – HP lead the field in terms of monitor display and resolution. Their screens look amazing and they’re crystal clear, which might make them a better option for those looking for a high resolution monitor screen.
- Easy to fix – Because of the abundance of HP computers around, there’s a ton of spare parts available should your old HP laptop ever kick the bucket. A lot of these parts are interchangeable between devices, which makes it easier to find something that suits you.
- Variety of Choice – With HP, you’ll get a wide variety of different options to choose from – more than most other brands that are out there. So if you need variety, HP is the better choice of the two.
- Graphics – Typically, if we’re looking at the graphics of the two brands across their entire range, then the HP laptops tend to have better graphics. Bear in mind that they’re often more expensive however, as Lenovo’s are generally just designed to try and fulfil business needs and are less focussed on graphics.
Why Lenovo is Better
In comparison to HP, there are some areas where Lenovo is leaps and bounds ahead of HP.
- Customer service – HP is quite well known nowadays for it’s poor customer service, so that’s one reasons that you might want to avoid their products. In contrast to this, Lenovo actually have one of the better customer services in the computer industry, and if you have any issues, you should be able to find a resolution easily. So, they win hands down when considering their good customer service.
- Longevity – If you’ve ever owned a Lenovo, then you’ll know that their laptops can last a fair while. Not just because of the technical specifications, but because they’re physically designed to be able to take some punishment if you drop them.
- Strong Product Lines – Generally, Lenovo are best known for their Thinkpad range, which has become one of the most dominant models within both the business industry and within the education sector too. They offer great value for money. As well as their Thinkpad range, they’ve also launched their own Lenovo Legion range of gaming laptops which have been met with stellar reviews too.
HP 15 vs Lenovo V110
If we take two extremely similar priced models from both brands to try and make this fair, then for the most part, they’re going to have almost identical specs. However, the ways that each brand are slightly better than each other are indicative of what the general pros and cons are of each company, so this comparison is a good way to explain how I’ve come to these conclusions.
For example, the HP 15-da0327tu has a better screen resolution, so the image that you’re going to get on your laptop will ultimately be better. It’s a 1920 x 1080px, whereas the V110 is 1366 x 768 px, so there’s a big difference there. It has an anti glare backlit display, which makes it a better option also in terms of your screen.
In terms of the specs, the HP is a little better, but there’s not much in it’s and it’s unlikely to be noticeable. But what does the Lenovo have going for it? Well, it’s slightly cheaper for one, and it’s a lot easier to get a good 3 year warranty than with a HP, who often make you pay out of the nose to get any kind of warranty whatsoever. So, it’s clear to see the benefits and flaws of each model here.
Lenovo – Yoga Series
Aside from the Thinkpad and the Legion series, another top range of laptops worth checking out from Lenovo are their Yoga series.
As you might have guess from the name, the Yoga is Lenovo’s most flexible series, consisting of 2-in-1 laptops. If you aren’t aware of what a 2-in-1 is, it’s essentially a laptop and a tablet in the same device, with a detachable screen that you can use separately. Though they’re not for everyone, generally 2-in-1 laptops can be a great idea if you’re interested in artistic things like design, as you can easily use the tablet to draw your own images.
As with all 2-in-1 laptops, this range has it’s benefits and it’s drawbacks. The main benefits being the design itself, which is much slimmer than your standard laptop. This makes it much easier for carrying around with you, which is why it’s so popular with students. Another good thing about the Yoga Series (especially the 920) is that the sound is awesome, which makes a change from your typical laptop, which usually struggle with sound quality.
From the other end of the spectrum, these models do tend to lack in graphical abilities in comparison to bigger, more expensive laptops. So, it really depends on what exactly it is that you’re looking for.
HP Pavilion Series
Whilst HP has a wide array of different series that are respected in the computing world – the HP Omen and the Spectre Folio immediately spring to mind – it’s probably the Pavilion that is most well known amongst consumers. Generally, the Pavilion series provides a great option for those looking at getting a laptop that’s just above low budget range.
As of 2019, it’s the HP Pavilion 15 that’s the most popular model in recent years. This Pavilion has both it’s pros and cons – it’s worth remembering that it’s a relatively low budget laptop, so it’s not going to compare with the best out there. That being said, the weakest point of the Pavilion 15 is probably the display. For the price you end up paying, you could get a higher resolution laptop with a much better screen.
From a positive perspective however, there are some great things about the Pavilion 15. Probably most apparent from the short amount of time I actually got to test this model out is the design of the computer itself. For typing, the keyboard is excellent – it has a greater depth than the majority of cheaper keyboards out there, so you’re really going to be able to feel when you type. However, you’ll need to remember to adjust your trackpad sensitivity settings when you’re first using it, as I found mine a bit sluggish.
But overall, the Pavilion series represents one of HPs best selling models and is worth checking out if you’re in the hunt for a new laptop.
HP vs Lenovo – FAQs
Which brand is better for gaming?
For gaming, HP laptops tend to be a better choice for the majority of people. HP have a wide variety of different gaming laptops like the Omen and Pavilion series, which are some of the better gaming laptops around. So for gaming, HP is the winner. However, like I’ve mentioned, the Lenovo Legion gaming laptop range has become more and more popular in recent years, so it’s definitely not wise to completely overlook them.
Typically, deciding which model will be best for gaming is more down to the specs than the brand itself – you’re better off looking for a good graphics card (like a Nvidia GeForce) than caring about which brand is better. If you asked which is better, Lenovo or HP and one had an Nvidia GeForce and one didn’t, I’d pick the one that did!
Which is best for Office work?
Generally, Lenovo are the preferred brand for those that are doing office work. Why? Well in general, the interface of a Lenovo laptop is much easier to use than HP, making it more convenient for business professionals. They tend to be more lightweight than HP laptops, which makes them a much better choice for those that are always on the move. Business professionals don’t need a big bulky laptop to carry around with them everywhere, which is why Lenovo come so highly recommended for those in offices. As well as being lightweight, Lenovo’s do tend to have a little better battery life in comparison to their HP alternatives. Battery life doesn’t matter so much with gaming HP laptops, as you’re never going to get a good gaming laptop with more than 7-8 hours of battery life anyway. So for office works, Lenovo is often the better choice.
Which screen size laptop should I get
Screen size is all down to preference and there’s a wide range out there to choose from, but it’s advisable to get at least a 13 inch screen – smaller notebook screens can be difficult to use, even if they are in a lower price range than more expensive laptops.
Are business laptops better than consumer laptops
Generally business laptops can provide more value than consumer laptops due to the software that comes with them. This doesn’t always mean that it will be the best laptop for you, but if you’re going to be doing a lot of work on one, then it might be worth considering a business laptop.
Which brand has the best special offers?
Both brands have a wide range of models available, but I do think that Lenovo offers more deals than HP. Lenovo laptops also are typically slightly cheaper – the HP equivalent of the Thinkpad is quite a bit more expensive. Keep up to date with their social media for more information.
Overall, deciding on which of these laptops is an individual choice. For people looking for a bargain, then usually brands like Lenovo and Acer provide the best bang for your buck. But just because Lenovo is known as a cost effective brand, doesn’t mean that you should rule them out completely – their Thinkpad series is one of the best options if you’re looking for a more expensive office laptop around the $1000-2000 budget.
For aesthetics, then HP is always going to be a better choice, because generally they put a lot more effort into their laptop design than Lenovo, who are focussed on cost efficiency. So depending on what you need, one of these brands will prove to be a much better option than the other. But, only you can determine for yourself which would be the better option for your needs.
Last update on 2020-07-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API