If you’re starting to take your ice skating a little more seriously, then it’s probably worth investing in a pair. But or beginners, it can be difficult to even know where to begin. So, it’s important to do some research to find out what the best pair of ice skates would be for you.
Generally, cheaper ice skates don’t differentiate too much from each other. But, there are a few pairs that stand out from the rest if you’re looking for decent quality. So, here are some of the top sets of ice skates if you’re just starting out.
Best Ice Skates for Beginners
Jackson Ultima Classics – Best for All Ages
- Unique two colour outsole
- Softec high quality figure blade attached
- Available in Black, Navy or White
If you’re looking for the best ice skates available in any size, then this is probably my favorite pair of ice skates available. Jackson are one of the better known budget skate brands, so they’re definitely worth considering if you’re looking for your first set of skates.n They’re available in a variety of different colors, which means that you should be able to find a set that will suit you.
As usual with ice skates, you’ll probably want to order a size up than what you’re regular shoe size. That means if you’re a size 8 or an 8.5, then getting a size 9 is a good idea. This is because the although the skate itself is quite large, inside it’s a little smaller than what you’d get with a shoe because of the additional padding. They are generally quite narrow though, so if you have fat feet, I prefer Riedell as a brand generally.
These are a decent quality set of ice skates that aren’t particularly expensive, then this set would be my first choice.
Lake Placid Monarch – For Kids
- Push button size adjustable
- Warm, Woven lining and Deluxe comfort Padding
- Stainless steel blade
If you’re looking for something for young boys or girls, then it might be worth looking at these Lake Placid Monarch skates.
This kind of adjustable skate is a good idea for younger kids because they easily allow you to change the size of the shoe – all you have to do is push a button. Getting a pair of adjustable ice skates allows you to use them for much longer, which is essential when you have young kids whose feet are continually growing.
Comfort should be one of the key things that you look for when you’re looking for ice skates. This is especially true for children, who are more likely to give the hobby up if their feet are uncomfortable. So, it’s important that you get a pair of comfortable skates like these ones, which you can easily wear for hours without much discomfort. It’s probably worth mentioning that these type of skates are great for ice skating, but not necessarily for hockey – if you want hockey skates, you’ll have to look at a different type of skates. However for regular ice skating, these skates offer another great option.
Riedell Soar Jr
- STAYS COMFORTABLE FOR ENDLESS USE - These youth ice skates have a comfortable design and a simple lacing system to keep your feet feeling fresh. These soft figure skates provide extra comfort with their foam-backed velvet lining for carefree skating. Check Sizing Chart for best fit. Youth sizes 8-13 have a 3 strap velcro closure. Junior sizes 1-3 have a laced closure
- GIVES YOU OPTIMAL SUPPORT - This ice skate set offer light support to keep you stable on the ice while allowing for freedom of movement. These boots have a split tongue design and durable maintenance-free uppers to provide support and add comfort. Support rating is 20 (Scale 1-100)
- DESIGNED TO KEEP YOU SAFE & YOUR FEET DRY - These beginner youth ice skates have safety in mind by adding extra padded linings for cushion. Designed with a lightweight PVC sole, these boots keep your feet dry for hours of use.
If you’re looking for an alternative to the Monarchs and want to look at a different brand, then I’d advise checking out these Riedell Soar Jr. They have a very easy to use lacing system, which means that your kids will be able to put the skates on themselves, which is something that you will probably want to encourage as they get older.
This set of skates is also extremely comfortable, which can mainly be put down to the split tongue design of the skates themselves. Although they are designed with beginners in mind, they’re also good for more advanced skaters too, and they’ll work well at the ice rink. If you’re looking for something that can be used for hockey as well as general ice skating, then this is a good choice for kids. They offer more than enough support for ice skating, which is imperative for keeping your ankles safe.
This set offers another option if you’re after a cheap set of ice skates for kids, as they’re sure to last you a long while.
Riedell Sparkes – Best for Figure Skating
- GIVES YOU OPTIMAL SUPPORT - This figure skate set offer light support to keep you stable on the ice while allowing for freedom of movement. These boots have a split tongue design to provide support and add comfort. Support rating is 20 (Scale 1-100)
- STAYS COMFORTABLE FOR ENDLESS USE - These attractive ice skates have a comfortable design and a simple lacing system to keep your feet feeling good. These soft figure skates provide extra comfort for carefree skating. Check Sizing Chart for best fit.
- DESIGNED TO KEEP YOU SAFE & YOUR FEET DRY - These beginner ice skates have safety in mind by adding extra padded linings for cushion. Designed with a maintenance-free PVC sole, these boots keep your feet dry for hours of use.
The final option that I have to talk about are these Riedell Sparkles, which offer another great option from Riedell. If you are looking for a set of skates to practice your figure skating, then this set is one of the best starter options out there. Like other Riedell skates, they have a split tongue design, which helps to make them more comfortable (especially for beginners).
What makes them particularly good for figure skating is the high quality steel blades, which allow to move around the ice freely and easily. However whilst they’re really good for figure skating, you can also use them for a variety of other types of skating too (they’re good for general skating, but not great for ice hockey).
So, if you’re looking for a good set of skates for figure skating, then it’s definitely worth looking at this set of Riedell Sparkles.
What to Consider When Buying Ice Skates
When you’re purchasing a pair of ice skates, there are a few things that you’ll want to keep in mind. Although ice skates are generally very similar to each other, there are some differences between them that might make one set of skates far more suitable for you than another set.
Another thing that you’ll need to take into consideration when purchasing a set of ice skates is their cost. Generally, you can find a set of ice skates at a pretty decent price without having to worry about them being too expensive – if you want new skates, then $50-80 is a pretty good starting point. Of course, you can get skates that cost a lot more than this too, but they aren’t really necessary, especially not for beginners.
Another thing that you’ll want to think about when getting a set of ice skates is their quality. The quality is dependent on a few things – primarily the quality of the shoe, but also of the skates themselves – generally, you want them made of a high quality steel if you want them to perform well on the ice.
What about roller skate guards?
You might find online that there are some roller skate guards available for your ice skates – these are essentially wheels that you attach to each side of the skate to make it easier for beginners. In my opinion, these aren’t ideal because although they can give you an idea of what ice skating is like, they’re not a true representation of what ice skating is. You’re likely better off to use the figurines that they have at pretty much every ice skating rink if you’re struggling to balance.
All in all, a pair of ice skates is a good investment for any age – whether you’re looking for a first set of skates for your kids or you’re looking for some for yourself, there’s a wide variety of different options out there. Whilst they aren’t an essential to your household, ice skating can make a pretty decent hobby and it’s also an awesome way to bond with your kids. So, whether you’re a beginner or you’re an advanced ice skater, these sets of skates would likely be a good choice.
Last update on 2019-07-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API