I was tasked recently with trying to find the best laser tag set for my kids (and me) to enjoy. It turned out to be quite the task, as there’s quite a few different options currently available on the market.
A laser tag set is a great way to get your kids up and active, especially if they’re attached to their mobile phones or the TV. For some reason, kids seem to have an obsession with certain things. Lasers and guns seem to be at the top of the cool list. And before you say anything about laser guns being a ‘boys toy’, that’s simply not true – my daughter loves this set as much as the rest of us!
Whether you have young children or you’re looking for a laser tag set for yourself and your friends, then there’s definitely an option for you. I’ll run through what I ended up going for, as well as the other options available you could opt for.
Dynasty Toys, formerly known as Simply Addictive Games, are one of the more popular brands when it comes to laser tag guns. Their reputation speaks for itself, and if you check the reviews online, you’ll know that their customer service is pretty good too.
- EXTREME PACK with model T1503
- With FOUR different Team Settings, you can play on the same team or in a 1v1v1v1 Free-For-All Battle.
- Choose between the Blue Team, Red Team, Green Team, or White Team. Plus, the blaster is the target. Meaning you don't need to wear a vest.
- Both the TEAM SETTINGS and BLAST SETTINGS are interchangeable on each blaster and can be set on the go.
- All 4 blaster settings have different stoppage power, reload times, and range requirements. There is no limit to team sizes.
Why do I like this laser set a little more than the others? Well, firstly it gives you the option to easily interchange the guns and organize teams. This means that it’s not difficult to have a 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 battle (a free-for-all) or set up teams however you’d like them. You can also opt for getting as many laser tag guns as you’d like. Although I did have a look online, I couldn’t find an exact maximum amount – but I’m guessing it’s within reason.
There’s also the option to continuously buy guns separately. This means if you buy a set of 4 and want to add another 1 or 2 later, you can always head over to Amazon and purchase some more.
There’s also more add ons with this set than there are with other laser tag sets. For example with my set, I got the additional ‘spiders’ or ‘robot bugs’. These are small moving robots that run around as targets. This is ideal for only children, as they’ll always have someone to play with! You can also find a great capture the flag game with this set, though you’ll have to purchase that separately on Amazon.
- Spiders – The spiders, or robot bugs, are a needed additional feature that proved to be a hit with younger kids. If one child wants to play but another doesn’t, then they can always play with the spiders instead.
- Responsive – The guns are responsive and work well from both long and short ranges, which is nice.
- Good customer service – Although I haven’t had a problem with my laser tag set, I did have a look on Amazon and saw a few people who did have an issue. Dynasty promptly offered a refund or replacement in the majority of cases, which is great.
- Good value for money – For this price, it’s actually pretty good value when you compare it to other laser tag sets on the market.
- No ammo shown – One thing that I did notice about this Dynasty set is that there’s no ammo shown on the display, which is something that I probably would have liked (although the kids didn’t notice).
- Mid range quality – They are great value for the price, but if you have a bigger budget then you can find laser tag guns of a higher quality out there.
The best bang for your buck that you’ll find currently on the laser tag market. An awesome addition for anyone looking for a good quality laser tag set that won’t break the bank.
The ArmoGear laser tag set certainly looks the part. The set comes with 4 guns, 4 vests and a wide variety of different in game modes to choose from.
- AUTHENTIC LASER TAG GAME 🔥 Turn your home or backyard into a laser tag arena with the ArmoGear laser tag blaster set, the most advanced set of laser tag blasters out there! No other laser tag set has real TARGET VESTS, INVISIBILITY MODE, NIGHT VISION FLASHLIGHT, VOICE-GUIDED DIRECTIONS, and an extreme 150 FT SHOOTING RANGE!
- MULTI-PLAYER, MULTI-AMMO 🔥 Up to 4 teams can play in this riveting battle! Switch between the unique powers of PISTOL, SHOTGUN, MACHINE GUN, and ROCKET to blast your enemy and declare victory! These laser blasters are ergonomically designed with a solid grip in your hand, easy to handle even for young kids. 100% SAFE, using Child Safety Infrared Signal Emission - 0.9mW.
- FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY 🔥 Tactile vibrations and lifelike shooting sounds make for deeply immersive gameplay, guaranteed to turn kids and adults away from their screens! Have a blast and create cherished memories on holidays, snow days, or birthday parties, with a fun family laser tag tournament! It's the PERFECT GIFT IDEA, sure to delight kids of all ages!
- PREMIUM QUALITY & DURABILITY 🔥 Why spend more on lazer tag blasters that are prone to defects, forcing you to go through the hassle of returns and exchanges? The ArmoGear laser blasters for kids are made according to the highest manufacturing standards for a top-quality, long-lasting toy. In addition, they are rigorously inspected by our quality assurance team to weed out any defective units and ensure you get a complete, fully functional set!
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEE 🔥 We walk the extra mile to ensure you are 100% satisfied with this product, by offering a FULL money-back guarantee! Please feel free to contact us in case of any issues or concerns with your order, for a hassle-free refund and your money back. Batteries not included, each blaster uses 3 AAA batteries and each vest uses 3 AAA batteries. (set of 4 totals to 24 AAA batteries)
Like the Dynasty set, the ArmoGear is ideal for a family of 4 and you have the option for having 1 v 1 v 1 v 1, 2 v 2 or whatever you decide on. You can also add another set if you wanted to get 8 blasters, but unfortunately you can’t buy the guns individually like you can with the Dynasty set. This makes it a bit awkward if you want to use 5 or 6 guns, but you could always purchase two sets to be safe.
What I particularly like about the ArmoGear set is that you get a ton of different options. With the firing modes, you have pistol, machine gun, shotgun and even a rocket launcher. Pretty ideal for kids, who love to play around with that type of stuff.
It also has a high range for shooting, with ArmoGear stating that you can shoot targets up to 150ft away. Pretty impressive. There’s also tons of different features that you can use too – night mode, invisibility mode and also voice guided directions.
I almost purchased the ArmoGear myself, but there was one main thing that stopped me from doing so. This is primarily because I feel this set would be better for older children. It’s a bit more expensive, and you’re aiming at vests instead of the guns.
With young kids, I preferred to just have a simple taser tag set where you just needed to aim at the guns themselves. Though if I had older kids, I’d likely have opted for the ArmoGear as there’s far more options and interactivity.
If you want to know more, then there’s a more comprehensive review about the Armogear Laser Tag Set here.
- Good quality – If you want the very best option, sometimes you have to pay a little more than you usually would. Although this set is more expensive than the others, it’s one of the best quality laser tag sets on the market.
- Full of cool features to keep the kids occupied – If you have older kids, then they’ll undoubtedly find the different settings and features a super cool aspect of this laser tag set. With 4 different gun types, an LED flashlight and a stealth mode, this is one of the better options for older kids that can appreciate these additional features.
- Use with other sets – Another great thing about this set is that you can use this set with as many people as you want – 4, 8, 12, it doesn’t matter!
- A Bit Expensive – If you’re just looking for a cheap laser tag set to play with your younger kids, then there are cheaper and more suitable options on the market. This set is really targeted at older kids and adults who can get the best use out of this laser tag gun set.
- Relatively short battery life – With a battery life of around two hours, you’ll need to get some rechargeable batteries along with this set to ensure you don’t rack up a huge battery bill!
If you have a bigger budget, then you could choose to go for the ArmoGear laser tag gun set. If you want a gun set with vests, then this is the best option available in my opinion.
- 4-TEAM ACTION TOY Organize breath-taking battles with your friends and get hooked to the most amazing action game! Pick your team in bright GREEN, RED, BLUE or WHITE, and let the merciless wars begin!
- PICK YOUR AMMO Select one of the 4 Gun Settings - PISTOL, SHOTGUN, SUBMACHINE GUN and ROCKET- and pulverize the enemy! Ultra-realistic shooting sounds accompany each setting for a riveting game!
- TOP NOTCH QUALITY Immerse yourself in the action! These Laser Blasters light up and vibrate while shooting as far as 130ft! Each gun mode comes with a different range of life bars, available shots and booming sounds that will blow your mind!
- SAFE PLAY With a Child Safety Infrared Signal Emission that is less than 1mW, this toy is certified safe for children of all ages. Best activity at parties and get-togethers- great for indoor and outdoor use!
- AMAZING GIFTING IDEA Treat your little adventurers to the laser guns of his dreams and enjoy his ear-to-ear smile! Give him the high-end action toy that will lead to thrilling moments and dreamy memories.
The Kidzlane set would also be a good option for a laser tag set. It’s extremely similar to the Armogear set, but quite significantly cheaper – which may sway your decision somewhat. You don’t get the vests with the Kidzlane set, so bare that in mind whether that’s a dealbreaker for you.
Like the Armogear, you get a pretty good 130 foot shooting range. This is adequate whether you’re playing indoors or whether you decide to take the action outside to the garden. You’re unlikely to need anything more than this, and if you do need more than that then you might need to consider getting professional equipment.
Essentially, it all boils down to whether you want the laser tag vests. Vests are good, and do provide a greater surface area for your kids to aim. The majority of laser tag sets have decided to stop including vests however, favoring the use of the gun as the target point. I’ve used both, and I can honestly say that whilst vests aren’t a necessity, they are a little better – especially for older kids.
- Good price – These guns are pretty cheap for a full set of 4, especially when you consider the different playing options and gun choices that you have.
- Quick reload – You can easily reload the Kidzlane Laser Guns by pressing a button near the clip (at the bottom!).
- Reset is difficult for little kids – If your kids are really young, then they may have difficulty resetting the gun after they’ve been killed. You have to go through the setup process every time, which can be frustrating.
- Not top quality – These guns aren’t the best quality available. If you want better quality, you’ll likely have to increase your budget.
A cheaper option than the Armogear laser tag set if you don’t mind omitting the vests – a safe choice.
You’ve likely seen the Laser X Gun Sets in your local Walmart/Target at some point over the past few years. Here I’ve included the Laser X Long Range Blaster.
Laser X are one of the more popular brands around, with their products available internationally. The Long Range Blaster is their most popular product to date.
The good thing about Laser X is that all of their products work together. This means that whether you’re using the Blaster or another gun, they all work with each other. Of course, this does mean that you ned ot stay with the brand.
It’s extremely simple to use – to reload, all you have to do is hold the trigger down for a few seconds and tilt the gun downwards. Kids can pick this up really easily, even if they’re young. They have a long distance aim of around 400 feet (120 metres), which is great for a laser gun. It also has a cool rapid fire mode, which allows you to get off 25 shots in a short amount of time.
If you want more than one Laser X gun, then you could opt for the Fusion set. Or, just purchase numerous of this one – I’ve also done a more comprehensive review on the Long Range Blaster.
- Great shooting range – It’s not called a long range blaster for nothing – the 400 foot shooting range is particularly impressive.
- Robust – Unlike some other laser tag guns, you won’t be worried about this breaking if you drop it – it’s pretty robust in build.
- Really, really loud – You can turn the volume completely off with Laser X – but not down (you can turn down the volume on the headphones but not on the unit itself).
- No guarantee past 3 months – Laser X don’t offer a long guarantee – 3 months just isn’t ideal for any laser tag set.
If you want an established brand, then you know what you’re getting with Laser X products. They also have some cool additional items like the Laser X Tower – great for kids who like variety.
Nerf LTX Tagger
The Nerf LTX Tagger set are Nerf’s original venture into the realm of laser tag, with them being originally released over 10 years ago now. They’ve of course been updated since then, but they’re pretty much the same design and specifications as they were.
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR BATTLES - The arena can be anywhere with these Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX blasters so players can battle inside the home or spread out outside for epic match-ups
- AWESOME SOUNDS & EFFECTS - Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX blasters register hits with lights, sounds and vibrations. Get the authentic Lazer combat experience with a recoil every time it's fired, a reactive vibration when you're tagged, fun Lazer shooting sounds, and an awesome ammo reload feature
- MULTIPLAYER COMPATIBILTY - The Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX Tagger is a complete system that features 2 Phoenix LTX Lazer tag blasters for fun, action-packed Lazer battles. All Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX blasters are compatible and interchangeable so more than 2 players can play at once (additional taggers sold separately). Invite friends to join in multi-player mode and suddenly they are ready to battle with 3-players, 4-players, 5-players, and beyond. Play in teams or one big free-for-all, but remember it's tag or be tagged!
- FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY - Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX Lazer tag blasters are great for kids, teens, and adults alike. For ages 8 years old and up, different play settings make the game fun and easy for the whole family. Players can set their Lazer tag blasters for 10 or 25 hits before they're out. Set beginners' Lazer tag blasters to 25 and more advanced players' to 10 to even the playing field. These Lazer tag blasters make the best gift for kids (boys and girls), teenagers and adults. Perfect for a birthday, Christmas and other holidays, or any occasion!
- CONVENIENT - The Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX Tagger game is a quality toy that's fun for the whole family. Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX blasters use a class 1 LED, infrared light. This set requires no vest, pinnies, or ammo. That means no need for cumbersome extra clothing and there are no darts to lose. Players don't have to stop to reload so they can stay in the game and keep in playing. And, as a bonus, no clean up. Get the benefit of our eco-friendly packaging, which ships in simple brown, recyclable package that's easy to open and frustration-free!
It’s definitely a simple to use version of a laser tag gun set. You can easily see whether you’ve been shot by the red button that flashes on top of the gun. If you have younger children, it’s important not to overwhlem them too much with fancy reload buttons.
What I prefer about this set is that you actually get the option of 25 lives (or 10). With the Dynasty set, you only get the option of having 9 lives, which sometimes isn’t enough if you want to play laser tag for an extended period of time.
- Very cheap – The accuracy of this set is far better than most- you really can shoot your enemies from 300 feet away, which is cool.
- Shield time – An extra added element to these guns is ‘shield time’. Each game, you get a few seconds of shield time – where no one can shoot you and you can’t shoot them either. Not exactly necessary, but good if you get surrounded and want to escape.
- Mix and match – Like the other laser gun sets, you can mix and match this one with others to ensure that you’ve got enough guns and teams.
- Expensive – If you need more than two guns, you’ll need to buy multiple sets and that makes them kinda expensive.
- Regular reloading is hard – With this set, you have to reload after every ten shots. This can be quite difficult for younger kids, though if they’re 4+ then they should be able to manage it.
The LTX Tagger set are the oldest set around and still one of the most loved. A good option if you only need two laser guns in the household.
Nerf N-Strike Elite Blaster
Sticking with the Nerf brand, they also make a more simple laser tag gun that might be what you’re looking for.
If you have a young child and are after something easy and simple, then you might be better off going for a single gun that they can use alone. When I say young, this one is great for 4-5 year olds who might not be ready to play laser tag properly yet.
- NOTE: This version comes in simple brown packaging
- Strongarm blaster holds 6 Elite darts and fires darts up to 90 feet. No battery used
- Slam Fire slide lets you rapid-fire all 6 included Elite darts
- Rotating barrel flips open for easy loading
- Elite darts work with any Elite blaster and most N-Strike blasters (sold separately)
One thing that’s missing from laser tag in general is the ability to actually fire anything. Sure, the lasers are super cool, but if you’re looking to actually fire stuff, you could opt for a nerf gun. Plus for some of us, these Nerf guns take us on a trip down memory lane!
Even though this is a pretty budget friendly option, you still have a range of up to 75 feet. This is pretty cool for such a small nerf gun.
Remember that if you want to use the darts – pretty much the main point of buying the laser gun – then you’ll need to purchase and extras you want from Amazon. If you’re buying the gun, then you should consider getting some additional elite darts – the originals are going to get lost!
Although this certainly won’t be suitable for everyone, this could be a good option if you want something small and simple.
- Very cheap – With this Nerf gun, you don’t have the expenses that can come with a big laser gun set – great for a single child.
- The Nerf element introduces some realism – Sometimes, kids actually want to see things wired (hence why they love crossbows so much!). That’s the only issue with laser guns – you don’t actually see the laser. With Nerf, you actually get to see the bullets fly, which some kids will appreciate.
- Only one – Of course, you could buy multiple of use for several children. But they don’t have the interactivity of a real laser set, so I wouldn’t buy this for a group of children.
- Gets jammed easily – One of the reasons I love laser guns so much is that you don’t have to worry about misfiring! This is an issue with the Nerf, as sometimes it’ll misfire (although this is common with most Nerf guns).
If you just want a single laser gun, then this is one of my favorite options currently available.
Much like the Kidzlane is similar to the Armogear set, the USA Toyz is extremely similar to the Dynasty Toys set. I even emailed them to check if they were the same company but they weren’t, so I went with the Dynasty Toys set because they had more reviews.
- 4 LASER TAG GAME MODES: Lazer tag set includes pistol, shotgun, submachine gun and rocket launcher; get those practice days in and master switching modes on your laser tag guns with one button
- 2 GUNS, NO VESTS NEEDED: Unique tech puts the active target signal in the laser tag guns; our laser tag sets don't require vests to play this laser tag game
- 130 FT. LASER TAG RANGE: Extend your lazer tag game play zone! Laser tag guns include Life Meter that registers laser tag game shots from up to 130 feet
- UNLIMITED LASER TAG FUN: All our laser tag sets work together and are compatible with other vest-less sets! Use laser tag guns to play capture the flag all day long, or create your own fun laser tag for kids games
- QUALITY ASSURED: We want you to play happy with one of our most popular toys for boys and girls! We'll provide a full refund if you're not 100% tickled pink with your laser tag game set
What Class Laser do these sets use (and are they safe)?
All of the laser tag sets that I’ve listed here emit less than 1mW of power. I doubt very much you’ll find any retail laser guns that emit more than this, simply because well.. they don’t need to be more powerful than that.
The mW means that the lasers that these guns emit are less than 1 milliwatts, which is generally deemed safe to use without eyewear. There are minimal cases of any damage ever being recorded with this power of laser, and the few cases that have been recorded were with more powerful lasers (5mW) and temporary damage. This also only occurred after holding the laser at the eye for more than 10 seconds, which is common sense not to do with any laser toys.
Should I let my kid play with toy guns?
I know there’s the whole debate on whether kids should play with toy guns at all, but I don’t think it’s an issue. Studies show that play wrestling is good for kids development, and kids pretending to shoot guns is no different. Heck, my kids were shooting me with their toast crusts since kindegarten!
So, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about getting a laser tag gun set for your kids (but that’s your decision).
Do Laser Tag sets work in the daytime?
Yes, the majority of laser tag stes will still work perfectly fine in the daytime. But, they are undoubtedly better to use in the nighttime or at least a dark environment to get the full effect of the laser fun.
Why Laser Tag?
Why should you consider getting your kids a laser tag set? Well, there are a few things that spurred me into buying my own kids a set, and I’ll share them with you.
Getting them off their iPads/Video Games/TV
Ask anyone who knows me – I love technology. But, I’m not too keen on my kids spending hours and hours a day indoors playing video games, watching TV and their new favorite thing – playing on the iPad.
Sure, these things are fine in moderation. But, I was having difficulty actually getting my kids to get up off the sofa and go outside and play!
With the laser tag set, they’re more encouraged to take a break and give their eyes a rest for a little while.
Fresh Air and Exercise
Continuing that theme, I think that exercise is super important. Not only physically, but it’s proven exercise is good for their brain, too.
Laser tag is a fun way to get them running around for a little while. You might not think it’s that intensive (it doesn’t have to be!), but it can be quite the workout if you’re playing for more than half an hour or so.
Teaches them to win and lose
Not all kids want to join a soccer team. Like me, my kids are slightly introverted and don’t take well to group sports at school.
But, I still believe that teaching kids to take part in activities is important. And laser tag is a great way to do this.
It enables us to do something together as a family! I’m always looking for fun things to do with the kids, and laser tag is just another thing that I can add to the list.
Finding a non contact activity for your kids to play can be tough. Although the majority of kids do enjoy roughhousing a little, laser tag provides them with an activity that you don’t need to make contact with others.
This means that if you have kids of different ages, you don’t need to worry about their age gap – and size difference – becoming an issue when they’re playing. In fact, my youngest often beats my eldest when we’re playing laser tag (and sometimes me, too!).
Overall, I ended up going for the Dynasty Laser Tag set as my choice. I wanted to spend less than $100, so when I saw that set of 4 available I thought that it would make a good buy. I went on afterwards to buy another Dynasty Gun with an extra robot spider, which has proven to be a hit too.
A laser tag set is a good investment for you and your family if you’re trying to find things that you can do together. It’s awesome for getting the kids up and out in the garden, giving them an opportunity to exercise before they go to bed.
Last update on 2018-11-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API