If you’re in a working environment, then the correct illumination is a must. Working in the dark can not only be bad for your eyes, but it can also be potentially hazardous too. One of the best ways to ensure that your workspace is sufficiently lit is by getting a decent set of shop lights.
Shop lights are generally ceiling lights that although can come in a variety of different styles, usually come as a long thin strip light. This can be more than enough to illuminate a good sized area, and you can usually find good deals on multiple shop lights if you need to brighten a large space. But of all the shop lights available, which are the best to choose? Well, here’s a few of my favorite options, which you’ll want to consider if you’re looking for a new set.
Best LED Shop Lights
Sunco 4 ft Shop Lighting
- Top Rated LED Utility Shop Light with Clear Cover
- COMMERCIAL GRADE - We uphold the highest standards for all our products by testing each product for optimal performance and safety. Certifications: ETL, Energy Star. Specifications: Length 4 FT / 48 IN, Clear Cover, Kelvin 5000, Wattage 40, CRI 80+, Lumens 4500, Voltage 120, Linkable 4.
- SIMPLE INSTALL - Follow our installation guide for a quick and easy setup, mounting hardware included (5' Cord | 10" Pull Chain Switch)! Directly mount to the ceiling or suspend from the ceiling for instant bright light in your garages, basements, warehouses, and storage area.
If I’m looking for shop lighting, then the first brand that I usually go and check out is Sunco. Why? Well, they have one of the widest varieties of shop lights within one brand, so there’s a lot of different variety to choose from.
Sunco’s most popular LED shop lights are 4 feet in length, and they have a frosted finish with 5000k coloring, so you can be sure that the lights will be bright enough. If you want to connect severals shop lights together, then this is very easy to do so with their extendable design – you just need to make sure that you set all of these lights close enough to each other to be connected.
Another thing to consider with Sunco is that they’re also one of the cheapest brands around when you compare this to their quality. With Sunco, you get quite a lot of discount when you purchase them in bulk. For example, it’s cheaper to buy a pack of 4 than it is to buy 3 single shop lights separately. So, if you’re going to be installing a lot of lights, it might be better to buy them in bulk (you can get packs of 6 and even packs of 16 if you want the best value).
All in all, if you’re looking for the best value for money from your shop lights, then you’ll want to look at the Sunco brand. They produce high quality lighting for a pretty low price and they have good customer service, which is all you can really ask from a brand.
Parmida High Bay Shop Light
- SAVE 74% ON YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL. Use a 105W LED Highbay Light to replace 400W MH/HID light and save 74% on your electric bill. This fixture has a lifetime of 60,000+ rated hours at L80 with a projected life over 100,000 hours for reduced life cycle maintenance costs. Integrated LED technology eliminates the need for bulb replacements. An all-in replacement of metal-halide and fluorescent high bays with significant energy savings.
- EASY INSTALLATION. Suitable for suspension mounting. 40-inch suspension mounting cable and V-hooks included. Fixtures can be installed individually or in continuous rows. Multiple knockouts are located on the light for "hard pipe" wiring through ends in the case you wish to install several lights in a continuous row. Motion Sensor Compatible.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION. Solid Aluminum housing. Polycarbonate frosted lens is impact resistant and outstandingly tough, even over a wide temperature range. PC helps to reduce glares, eliminate hot spots and soften light all without reducing lumen output. No change of color or rusting overtime as you would see with an acrylic lens. Integrated LED technology eliminates the need for bulb replacements.
The long thin strip style of shop light might not be enough for a certain sized area, and instead of getting multiple of them, you might be best off purchasing a wide surface shop light. These can be especially useful if you’re trying to get light to a specific area, for example having it over a work table to help keep the entire table bright enough to work on.
One of the good things about LED shop lights as opposed to fluorescent lights is that they are durable and don’t break easily. This means that if something does happen to the lighting, then you don’t need to worry about too much. This Parmida shop light has aluminium housing structure, which supports the lighting well.
Another positive about this shop light is that although you might think this style of lighting would consume a lot of energy, this one is actually low in consumption. It has a long battery life of over 10,000 hours before you have to consider replacing anything, which is impressive when you compare it to other lighting options out there. So, this provides another awesome option if you’re looking for a wide shop light.
Singteam LED Tube Light
- 1.Scientific Design - Dual row V-shaped LED gives 270° lighting with no wasted light on the ceiling,Plug-and-play. Just use the included snap joints to hang it up and insert the plug to light it on
- 2. ENERGY SAVING - More than 2400 lumens output, 20w low power consumption, Save 60% on your electricity bill
- 3. Extendable Design - Could connect up to 4 tube lights together with seamless connectors or connector cords
If you want an alternative to the Sunco shop lights, then it might be worth considering this one from Singteam. They’re very similar, but there are some differences between them.
The main benefit of this set of shop lights as opposed to the Sunco set is that they guarantee a longer life – whether this is particularly accurate is difficult to be sure of, but it’s definitely something worth considering. They’re slightly dimmer than the Sunco’s however, which might be a drawback for those that are looking for the brightest option possible. You can easily connect 4 of these together to get them working with the daisy chain method, which is easier than it sounds.
Another positive is that they come with a 3 year warranty, so you don’t need to be too worried about them stopping working at some point. If you have an ageing set of fluorescent lights and you’re looking for something new, then these might make a perfect choice.
Hyperikon High Bay Light Fixture
- SUPER BRIGHT LED - This LED High Bay is a high output light fixture with 14,600 lumens! This shop light will provide superior brightness to any indoor area with high ceilings like garages, warehouses, and workshops.
- ENERGY & COST SAVINGS - Cut your lighting energy usage and save! It's easy to replace old fluorescent or halogen fixtures with an LED bay light, swapping 400W for 110W! Plus, LED high bay fixtures have a lifetime rating of 45,000+, reducing maintenance costs and lasting for years to come.
- DIMMABLE - Reduce headaches and eyestrain while you work with the smooth dimming capabilities of this high bay LED ceiling lamp. This fixture is dimmable 1-10V, with little or no glare at any level of brightness.
If you’re looking for a dual set of bay lights, then it’s worth looking at this pairing from Hyperikon. This type of fixture is 24 inch by 12 inches, so it can cover a fair amount of space in the room. They come in two different wattages, so depending on how bright you want the room, you can choose which of these would be best.
Hyperikon have a wide variety of different lighting products available, and they have a strong brand. You also have the possibility to dim these lights too, but you’ll need to set these up with a dimmer to do so – you can’t just dim the lighting out of the box. If you’ve never done this before, then it can be quite difficult – here’s my favorite guide on how to install a dimmer switch. However for most people, this might be unnecessary extra hassle.
Even though these lights are relatively small, they’re going to be a good size for the majority of people. You don’t need to have a massive set of shop lights for a smaller size room, and if this is the case for you, then this set will be perfect.
CACKSS Tube Light
- 【55% Energy Saving & Super Bright】The 40W Shop Light provides 4800 Lumens at 5000K Daylight White, 55% energy saving versus three 32-Watt fluorescent shop lights equivalent, effectively reduce the amount on your annual electric bill
- 【Eyesight Protection & No Flickering】Instant on with no buzz, eyesight protection, mercury free and no UV. Simply plug and play, instant full brightness with no flicker even at low temperature (-4℉). ETL certified for performance and safe operation
- 【Wide Application】Widely used in garages, workshops, workbench areas, storage areas, warehouses, basements, equipment rooms, industrial workstations and general purpose
If you’re looking for a small single light to use in a garage or a workshop, then you should look at this CACKSS light.
It’s very easy to install, so if you don’t want to spend a ton of time playing around with installing the light, then this is a pretty good option. You can easily have it up and running within 10 minutes, you’ll just need to secure it to the wall or to the ceiling. Fortunately, mounting the lamp is pretty easy too, so if you have no experience with wiring lights, then this is a good choice.
Another thing to note about this light is that it’s extremely light. For some people this is going to be great, but you don’t have the possibility to dim this light, so it might not suit some people. But if you want a single bright shop light, this is another great choice.
Why Opt for a Tube Light?
If you’re considering getting yourself a shop light, then you’re probably doing the right thing. They can be an invaluable help, and there are a few reasons why it’s a good idea to install one.
- Price – Of course, we have to take the price of shop lights into account too. In comparison to other forms of lighting, they’re actually quite cheap nowadays. It’s worth going for something cheap if you aren’t entirely sold on getting a shop light.
- Very easy to put up – Despite the fact that they can look quite intimidating to install, they’re actually very easy to put up. They don’t require any wiring, so you won’t need to worry about having to fiddle around with wires to install a shop light. Here’s the best guide to installing shop lights online.
- Focussed – Shop lights are designed to be extremely focussed on one specific area. This allows them to work at a lower rate in comparison to other lights, and although they can be extremely bright, they typically use less energy than other forms of lighting, like fluorescent lighting.
- Long lasting – Generally, shop lights tend to have a very long life span. You’ll need to check this depending on the specific shop lights that you purchase, but they do tend to last for a long time in comparison to other lights.
So, getting the right lights install at your shop, garage or home can be extremely important. This is especially true if you’re working in a dimly lit area, as adequate lighting becomes essential. Fortunately, shop lights are available at decent prices, so anyone can afford to install them in their home.
Overall, there are a lot of different options out there if you’re looking to purchase some shop lights. Getting the right option for you means doing some research, and trying to find out the correct size and style for your shop, home or garage. By opting for a cheaper brand like Sunco, you can be sure you’re getting something of decent quality at the best possible price.
Last update on 2019-11-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API