Polk and Bose are two of the best known brands in the audio industry, so it’s no surprise that people are continually trying to compare the two. They’re two of the most popular brands around and for a good reason – they both produce some top quality products that you should be aware of. You can also consider Klipsch speakers.
If you are trying to compare the two, then this can be extremely difficult. Typically, Polk are the better option if you’re trying to install a home theater in your house – they are many peoples go to brand. But if you want something like headphones, Bluetooth speakers and bookshelf speakers then you can look at Bose for these types of things.
Polk vs Bose
Overall, they both have their strengths – and weaknesses. Its important to know the difference between the two so that you can work out which is a better option for what you need. Let’s have a little look at both brands so that we can tell the differences between them, so that you can work out which would be a better option for you.
Bose were started in the mid 60s by Amir Bose – they’re an American brand, founded in Massachusetts. This hasn’t stopped them from global domination though – in the last 50 years, they’ve become one of the most dominant brands in the audio industry. They specialise in headphones, but they also produce other products like car stereos and sound systems too.
Polk are another American company founded in the 70s, which helped continue the run of American brands dominating the audio industry. They’re well known for their Amps and their automobile speakers, but in recent years they’ve become more popular for their home speaker systems. Especially speakers that you can hide inside your ceiling or inside your wall, which has become one of their most popular products.
Pros of each brand
- One of the biggest pros about Polk is that their products are available at an awesome cost to quality ratio. Polk aren’t the very best quality of speakers, but they are one of the cheaper brands on the market too, especially for in wall speakers and good in ceiling speakers. So, you can’t complain too much about price, as they are definitely going to perform well.
- They’re great for high pitched frequencies, because the majority of their products use a titanium dome tweeter. This is true for all of their center channel speakers, as well as their wireless subwoofer as well.
- Bose are usually better known for Polk when we’re considering deep and heavy sounds – think subwoofers.
- Although this isn’t all they’re known for, and the brand nowadays has really become one of the premium lower cost brands out there. Like most brands, you’ll find the cheaper Bose options, but there are some more expensive Bose speakers out there too, depending on what exactly it is that you’re looking for.
Cons of each brand
- The bad thing about Polk products is that they’re not the best of quality, and if you’re looking for an expensive high quality sound system, it might be worth upping your budget a little. For the majority of people, Polk speakers will do a good job. But, they aren’t top quality, so be sure to bear that in mind.
- Whilst you can buy Polk speakers within a decent price range, there actually isn’t a great deal of variety to choose from with the brand. They don’t have a large selection of different speakers to choose from, with other brands having much better variety overall.
- There aren’t many cons to Bose speakers, but the main one is probably the expensive cost. For what you pay for Bose products, you could probably get 2-3x as much equipment from Polk. And for most people, the difference in quality isn’t great enough to warrant this extra expense.
- Another one of the common criticisms of the Bose brand is that their app isn’t particularly good. This means that if you’re looking for surround speakers for your home, then they may not be the best option out there.
If you’re trying to decide between these two brands, then it can be difficult to know which is best. For me, I’ve used Polk Audio equipment throughout my house – I’ve purchasing some of their Polk Ceiling speakers and I’ve been extremely happy with my purchase since then. Polk are undoubtedly a good choice for your home system, but there are other home theater system brands that are comparable with Polk.
If you’re looking for a set of headphones or a Bluetooth speaker, then Bose should be your first port of call. They’re a good measuring point to other speakers, and they hold their own against other brands like Sonos. Bose do make some other awesome audio equipment too.
It’s very difficult to compare these brands, as nowadays they both have a reputation for their specific products – Bose for headphones and Polk for home theater. You’re unlikely to have trouble with either of these products in all honesty, and they’re both relatively high quality – especially for their price. Depending on what you want, you’ll find it with either of these two brands.