A good laser printer can be a great addition to your house. But often, laser printers can be big and bulky, and although they might be okay printers for the home, they’re not good for portability. So if you’re looking for something that you can carry around with you easily, is there one printer that stands out from the rest?
Well, there are a few portable laser printers available that might make a good choice. If you’re looking for something specifically to print out images of photos from your laptop or even directly from your phone, then you’re in the right place. Here are a few of the best portable printers that are currently available at decent prices.
Best Portable Printer for Photos
- Print from Bluetooth and social media
- Print 2 inches x 3 inches Photos with peel and stick backing
- Super portable. Print resolution 314 x 400 dots per inch
The Canon Ivy is my favorite portable printer for those looking to easily print out their pictures from social media or directly from their phone. There are a few reasons why I like this model more than the other options that are available.
The Canon Ivy is good for those looking for convenience. You can easily download the Canon app from the app store (for free) and send your pictures via Bluetooth to be printed. The Ivy uses zinc based sticky back paper, which means that you can easily either use the photos with or without sticking them into places – it’s the ideal gift for a younger person.
One of the downsides of option to go for a portable printer specifically for photos is that often, the paper can be kind of expensive. However, it’s undoubtedly one of the best ways to print off bitesize photos for use in diaries or for sticking on pretty much anything. So for most people, this kind of printer will be best, and the Canon Ivy is my favorite photo printer of it’s type.
Canon Pixma iX6820
- OS Compatibility :Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 , Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP1, Vista SP2, Windows XP SP3 32 bit13 . Mac compatibility : Mac OS X v10.6.8 v10.913
- Utilizes Air Print, Google Cloud Print and PIXMA Printing Solutions (PPS)
- FINE print head technology (Full photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering)
The best option if you’re looking to print out larger than 3×2 inch photos is the Pixma, which is still specifically designed for printing images in a high quality. You might want to think about looking at the whole Pixma series, but for me specifically the iX6820 is one of the best portable printers on the market. If you’re looking for a high res business and leisure printer to use whilst you’re on the go, the iX6820 provides a pretty decent option.
The printer itself is compatible with pretty much every operating system, and it’s very easy to setup if you want to use it wirelessly. The quality of the image is awesome too, and you can easily print out a wide variety of different paper sizes to suit whatever you need (tabloid, posters etc are all easily printable with this model).
Overall, if you’re looking for a good portable printer that has relatively cheap ink too, then the Pixma iX6820 is a pretty solid option.
HP Officejet 200
- Main functions of this HP color portable printer: easy portable printing wherever you need it, wireless print from your laptop or mobile devices, 2" display and more
- Mobile printing: print from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet with the free HP ePrint app, print even without a network using Wireless Direct printing. Standard input capacity (envelopes)- Up to 5.Standard input capacity (legal)- Up to 50 . Standard input capacity (cards) - Up to 20. Maximum input capacity (sheets) - Up to 50. Maximum input capacity (transparencies) - Up to 5. Maximum input capacity (cards) - Up to 20. Maximum input capacity (photo paper) - Up to 20. Maximum input capacity (4x6 photo) - Up to 20. Maximum input capacity (labels) - Up to 5
- Easy portable printing wherever you need it. This durable, compact printer fits in your car, backpack, and more, for convenient printing anywhere. Start printing in minutes - HP Auto Wireless Connect makes setup easy
If you’re looking for a more traditional option of a portable printer that just has the capability to print photos, then the Officejet 200 is a solid choice. It isn’t quite as portable as the Canon Ivy, but they’re really made for different purposes. Whilst the Ivy is ideal for printing out photos from social media, the Officejet 200 can easily be used as a proper printer. This is one of the most compact printers that’s capable of printing A4 pages, so if you’re looking to print out reports and essays on the go, then this is the best option around.
Whilst it has to be of a decent size to even print A4 pages, it is definitely still quite compact. You’ll easily be able to fit it into a large laptop bag or a rucksack, whichever is most convenient for you. It can be really useful for those that are needing to print out documents whilst they’re travelling around for meetings and need certain things in physical form. Another thing that’s impressive about this compact printer is the print speed – it can print even faster than some full sized printers.
All in all, if you’re looking for a lightweight version of your standard printer that you can take with you everywhere, then the Officejet 200 is one of the top choices around.
- Live it - Love it - Print it: Printing off social media photos has never been easier from your smartphone. Connect your social media accounts to the free-to-download HP Sprocket App and instantly turn those photos into colorful prints
- A Social on-the-go portable printer: Sprocket uses seamless Bluetooth connectivity, so you can set it up at parties and events, and everyone can print their favorite moments from their smartphones or tablets
- Have fun - be creative: Customize your photos before you print with the HP Sprocket App to add fun text, borders, emojis, and more. Add a pop of personality for snapshots and stickers that are totally and uniquely you
The Sprocket is a cute photo printer which is compact, portable and produces a decent quality of image. It’s pretty much everything that you could ask for from a portable photo printer.
There are a few different options in the Sprocket series; the original Sprocket (this one), the Plus Printer (a larger version of this one) and the 2 in 1 camera version. Whilst they all provide pretty decent value, this is probably my favorite of the three. It produces images at a 2inch x 3 inch, and it’s the epitome of a camera photo printer. It isn’t a typical portable printer, so it might not suit some people. But if you’re just looking for a fun printer to print out your Facebook photos, then this is undoubtedly the best choice. You can easily pick up some sticky back paper to print out your favorite photos into stickers.
Another great thing about the HP Sprocket is that you can easily set it up with it’s own app (not the HP app, but it’s own separate HP Sprocket app). This gives you the opportunity to easily customize your photos, which is going to be great for younger users as they’ll have some super cool customization options. So if you’re looking for a portable photo printer as a gift for a younger person, then this one would make an awesome choice.
All in all, the Sprocket definitely provides another great option if you’re looking for a good priced photo printer.
- Easy print technology - mini smartphone printer lets you print 2. 1 x 3. 4" photos direct from Android or iOS device; No cables or buttons necessary
- Wireless convenience - NFC one touch for Android Launches Kodak app to print in seconds; also compatible with iOS/Android via Bluetooth
- HIGH QUALITY PHOTOS - Innovative 4 PASS D2T2 Dye Transfer Method Produces Beautiful, Detailed Black/White or Color Portraits That Dry Instantly & Stay Bright Up to 10 Yrs.
Another smaller photo printer that could be worth considering is the Kodak HD. Obviously, Kodak are known for making their cameras, so it only makes sense that they’ve released a series of high quality printers to go along with that. It’s one of the cheapest options if you’re looking for a cheap photo printer that you can take with you on the go.
One of the better things about this model is that with the Kodak app, you have a ton of different options for customization. It easily allows you to set up ID photo printing, stickers, card templates and other things, too. Another aspect to note about this Kodak model is that it really is compact, so if you’re after something that you can easily carry around with you, then this is likely going to be the best choice for you.
One thing to note about this Kodak model is that it doesn’t have the best track record, and if you compare it to the Sprocket and the Ivy, this one has a lot more complaints on social media and online. People tend to be complaining about Kodak’s customer service, so it’s worth bearing this in mind before you make a purchase.
Epson Workforce WF-100
- This printer is designed for use with Epson cartridges only, not third party cartridges or ink; Cartridges described as Compatible, Remanufactured, refilled or refillable may not work properly or at all; See product description for more details
- World's lightest and smallest mobile printer
- Print from iPad, iPhone, tablets and smartphones
The Epson WF-100 is a great example of a portable printer and it’s could easily be one of my favorite options currently available on the market. It’s extremely lightweight, and you’d be challenged to find anything lighter currently on the market (their campaign says it’s the ‘lightest printer’ on the current market).
Another thing that you might also like about the Epson Workforce is that you can set it up with Amazon Dash. This works by recognising whenever you’re short of ink, and automatically ordering more on Amazon. This can help to ensure that you’re never going to be caught short. However for some people, they might not like this level of control over their purchasing, and you also might be able to find special deals on cheap ink elsewhere. So, it depends whether or not this is something you think would prove advantageous for your needs.
However, there is one issue with the WF-100 which definitely pushes it further down the list. Although the printer itself is great, you need to use it consistently for it to be of any use. If you leave it for a week or two, then the ink will clog up the printing heads, which can be super frustrating. Overall, this is a good portable printer if you’re looking for something that can produce high quality printed photos from your phone. But, you need to use it on a regular basis to get best effect from this model, otherwise the ink will clog and this can be super frustrating.
HP Deskjet 3755
- Main functions of this HP color compact printer: copy, scan, wireless printing, Instant Ink ready for your 15 FREE PRINTS EVERY MONTH and never run out of ink again
- Mobile printing: print from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet with the free HP ePrint app, easily print from your iPhone with AirPrint, print even without a network using Wireless Direct printing
- Compact and wireless, this printer is designed to fit your space and life; get the vibrant blue color and power in the world's smallest all-in-one for home
Another choice of larger portable printer is the Deskjet 3755, which is one of HP’s most popular compact printers. It’s Amazon Dash ready (like most HP printers nowadays), so you can be sure that you’ll never be short of ink. The Deskjet is marketed as the smallest all in one printer around, so if you’re looking to pick up a scanner and a copier too, then it might make sense to get something that can do all three.
Like all good portable printers, you can use this model either completely wirelessly or you can use it with a USB cable too. It has a pretty small 2 inch display on the printer itself, which should be more than enough for you to see and adjust the settings of the printer.
From a negative perspective, this model takes absolutely aaageeesss to actually print. It prints at about 4 pages per minute, so if printing speed is a necessity for you, then this definitely isn’t going to be a good choice. But apart from that, this model provides another solid option of a cheap portable printer.
What to Look for in a Portable Printer
If you’re looking for a portable laser printer, then you’ll want to get the best option available for you. To ensure that you get something suitable, then you’ll need to check what specifications the printer has, so that your portable printer is right for your needs.
Of course, when you’re purchasing a portable printer, the most important thing is that it’s actually portable! There’s a ton of compact printers out there, but being compact doesn’t necessarily mean portable either, so whilst the size is important, you’ll want to ensure that you’re getting a printer you can easily move from place to place.
Obviously, with portable printers one of the main advantages of them is that often, they’re portable. This is still something that you’ll need to check before actually buying a printer, because portable printers don’t necessarily mean that they’re wireless. So, if you want to get a truly portable laser printer, then you’ll need to double check that it’s wireless first.
It’s assumed that the majority of people looking for a portable printer wont necessarily be looking for a color printer. This is another thing to check before you invest in a printer, because not all printers will be able to print in color. Typically, a monochrome printer will be cheaper to purchase outright, and it will be cheaper to buy ink for too.
Lastly, the price of your portable printer is also going to be a factor in your purchase. You can pick up a decent portable printer for $100, but better quality ones will run you a little bit more than this. So, it really depends on how much you’re willing to pend on a portable printer, and the quality that you’re looking to get from your printer too.
All in all, these are just a few of the best portable printers that are currently available on the market. There are more options out there, but typically you’ll want to stick with bigger name brands like these when you’re going to buy a printer, because you’re going to get a warranty that supports you if you do run into any issues further down the line. So if you want something easy to use and portable, here are just a few options that you’ll want to consider.
If you’re not looking for something portable, then you might want to check out my list of monochhrome printers or my guide how to find a printer with lost cost ink! There are a ton of different printer options out there, so it’s undoubtedly worth looking around to ensure that you get the best option for you.
Last update on 2019-10-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API