The Sonos One and the Bose Revolve are two of the most popular smart home speakers on the market. It can be difficult to decide between the two, as they appear to be extremely similar to each other. But if you look a little closer, then you can see some differences between them that might help you make a decision between the two.
The main difference between the two is that whilst the Bose Revolve is easy to integrate with Google and Siri, the Sonos One is easy to use with Amazon Alexa. With the dramatic increase in in people using Amazon Alexa, the Sonos is a good option if you want a higher quality sound that you can integrate easily with Amazon.
The two speakers are undoubtedly two of the most popular around, so lets have a closer look at them to try and see whether we can help you decide which would be a better issue for you.
We already know of these two brands, but we may as well recap to cover what they both have to offer. Firstly, Bose really needs no introduction – they’ve produced some of the best headphones in recent memory, and since their inception in 1964 they’ve become one of the most popular audio brands around. As well as the Bose Resolve, they also produce great car audio equipment too.
Sonos are a young brand in relation to the big dogs – they’ve only been around for the less than 20 years. So, it’s particularly impressive that they’ve catapulted to the forefront of the audio industry without the prestige of older brands like Bose. Just because they are a younger company, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t consider their product – especially the Sonos One.
Sonos One vs Bose Revolve – Pros
- Start and control your music with your voice. Amazon Alexa built right in.
- Play songs, check news and traffic, control your smart home and enjoy all those other helpful Amazon Alexa skills using a single Sonos speaker.
- Ask Alexa to Play music from Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn and SiriusXM. Listen to hundreds of other streaming services with the Sonos app.
- Connect wirelessly with other Sonos Home Sound System speakers to play music in any or every room.
- Enjoy surprisingly rich, room-filling sound from a smart speaker.
The best thing about the Sonos One is that it’s a dramatic step up on Amazon’s standard speakers. I’ve had the Echo and the Dot, and the Dot especially has an extremely tinny sound. It’s good for practical things, but you’re not going to make it through an entire song listening on the Dot! With the Sonos One, you’re going to see a dramatic increase in sound quality.
It’s actually relatively small when you consider the sound quality that you get from the Sonos One. They’re well designed, even if they’re a little unsightly in comparison to more expensive speakers. They’re also very easy to use, so you don’t need to worry about struggling to understand how to get the best of them.
- Deep, loud and immersive sound, with True 360-degree coverage. Wireless range up to 30 feet. For those times when loud just isn't loud enough, use the app to connect any two SoundLink Revolve speakers
- Seamless aluminum body is durable and water resistant (Ipx4)
- Enjoy up to 12 hours of play time from a rechargeable, lithium-ion battery
- Wireless Bluetooth pairing with voice prompts; easily take calls and access Siri or Google now
- Pair two speakers together for stereo or party mode playback
The Bose Revolve gives a pretty decent sound for it’s size. The 360 design is excellent for spreading sound throughout any room, especially if you’re looking for it to feature in the lounge or in the kitchen – it can spread easily throughout the whole bottom floor of your house,
Another of the positives about the Bose Revolve is it’s sleek appearance. Whilst this doesn’t have a dramatic effect on how the Bose Revolve really works, it definitely makes a difference if you’re putting the speaker in your lounge. It may or may not matter to you what the speaker looks like, but the Bose is definitely a better looking speaker – it’s one of the best looking on the market.
Sonos One vs Bose Revolve – Cons
The worst thing about the Sonos One is my opinion is the appearance. It doesn’t look great in the lounge in my opinion, but I keep it on top of my bookshelf, so it’s a not really on show. The only other con is that currently the Sonos One doesn’t have Google integration, and it won’t do until 2019. Aside from that, there aren’t many negatives about the Sonos One.
The main issue that I have with the Revolve is actually their sound quality. If you compare them to other Bose products like their Bose Bookshelf speakers, then they actually don’t produce as good of a sound. Sure, it’s competent and you get a good mix of highs and lows, but the actually sound they produce isn’t as good in my opinion.
Bose Revolve vs Bose Revolve Plus
- The best-performing portable speaker from Bose; delivers deep, loud, jaw-dropping sound with true 360-degree coverage
- Flexible fabric handle makes it easy to grab and go; seamless aluminum body is durable and water resistant (IPX4)
- Enjoy up to 16 hours of play time from a long-lasting, rechargeable, lithium-ion battery
- Wireless Bluetooth pairing with voice prompts; easily take calls and access Siri or Google Now
- Keeps speaker charged and ready to go
In recent years, Bose released the Revolve Plus. For the most part, you’re going to find it at least $100 more expensive than the regular Revolve. If you’re wondering whether it’s worth it and what the differences are, then it’s quite simple.
The only differences are that the Revolve Plus has an extra 4 hours battery life, and it can be played much louder than the Revolve too.
These aren’t really things that you need if you’re going to keep your speaker in the kitchen, but if you’re looking for something portable then this may make a difference for you But for the most part, you’re okay sticking with the standard Bose Revolve.
At the end of the day, it really depends on what you need to help you decide between these two products. For me, after I started using Amazon Alexa I wouldn’t go back to not using it again, so it’s a necessity that I get a speaker that I can set up with Alexa. For this, of course I’m going to have to opt for the Sonos One. So I can have the Sonos One in the lounge, with an Amazon Dot in my bedroom.
This doesn’t mean to say that you should completely discount the Boss Revolve, because it’s definitely a good quality speaker that would fit well in your house. But, it’s only available to use with Google – when the usage of this increases, then maybe people will switch to using the Revolve more often. If you do use Google assistant, then this isn’t coming to the Sonos until 2019.
All in all, spec wise both of these speaker models are very similar to each other and there isn’t a lot between them. The Bose Revolve does have the added feature of being 360 rotatable which is extremely cool, but I’m not sure it adds much in terms of performance.
Last update on 2019-01-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API