If you’re after a Playstation 4 racing wheel, then the two brands you’re likely to come across are the Thrustmaster brand who are known for racing wheels and Logitech, who produce a ton of different gaming and computer equipment. Two of their best models are the T300 and the G29 respectively. But, are either of these two models better than the other one, or are they relatively similar in their build and ability?
The reality is that the T300 is a step up on the G29 – but it does come at a more expensive price. If you want the best, sometimes you have to pay a premium to get a better model.
But is the T300 that much better than the G29 that it warranty an extra few hundred dollars price tag? Well that’s certainly debatable. Let’s have a look at the two different steering wheels and decide which of these would be a better option for you.
- Gran Turismo and PLAYSTATION4 / PLAYSTATION3 officially licensed racing wheel.
- High-end racing simulator featuring 1080 Degree Force Feedback racing wheel industrial-class brushless motor Super smooth and seamless Force Feedback effect ultra-responsive
- Detachable RACING GT STYLE wheel: 11" / 28 cm diameter racing wheel featuring a brushed metal central spokes. Reinforced rubber texture on the wheel's entire circumference.
- GT EDITION PEDAL SET: 3 adjustable metal pedals included: Metal pedals, Accelerator and clutch pedals adjustable (height and spacing).
- Ecosystem ready:Compatible on PS4, PS3 & PC with detachable Thrustmaster wheels (599XX EVO 30 Wheel Add-On Alcantara Edition, TM Leather 28 GT Wheel Add-On, Ferrari F1 Wheel Add-On, Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On, etc.). Compatible on PS4, PS3 & PC with Thrustmaster 3-pedal pedal set T3PA-PRO.Compatible on PS4, PS3 & PC with the TH8A shifter (TH8A - Thrustmaster TH8 Add-on).
Another awesome thing about the T300 is that you can find it in a variety of different models. They have special editions of the T300, with one of the most popular ones being the Gran Turismo T300 (the GT). You can also find it in a Ferrari version which is a bit more expensive, but probably worth it if you or your kid is a Ferrari fanatic.
One of the main differences between these two models is the pedals. With the T150 (the older version of the T300), the pedals aren’t the best quality. Although the pedals themselves aren’t bad, they just don’t match the aesthetic appearance of the metal T300 pedals unfortunately. Though practicality wise, there is actually very little difference between the two. The pedals are easily adjustable too, so it doesn’t matter the height of the person using them.
It’s very easy to set up your Thrustmaster with your PS4, but you can also use it easily with a PS3 or even with a PC too. This is ideal for multi console gamers who don’t just want to be limited to racing games on their Playstation. The T300 is undoubtedly better for the PS4, as it has 13 actions buttons specifically designed for use with the Playstation as well as the standard D Pad.
If you don’t want to spend extra on the gear for your steering wheel, then you don’t have to worry about doing so. The T300 has two paddle shifters for changing gears, which helps to give you that real fast car experience.
One thing to consider with new systems like this is that they have an updated Force Feedback system – this means that newer steering wheels are going to feel far more realistic than steering wheels you might have used in the past. With it’s 1080 dual belt system, the T300 is undoubtedly one of the only options to consider if you want a premium experience.
- Racing Wheel: A definitive sim racing wheel for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3: Realistic steering and pedal action for the latest racing titles
- Racing Wheel: Easy-access game controls: On-wheel D-pad, console buttons, paddle shifters and LED indicator lights
- Racing Wheel: Built to last: Durable solid steel ball bearings, stainless steel shifter and pedals and hand-stitched leather wheel grip
- Shifter: The sim racing shifter for G29 and G920 Driving Force Racing Wheels: Adds realistic shifting to your racing rig
- Shifter: Compatible with PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7, games that support Logitech force feedback racing wheel
The Logitech G29 is another option that you might want to consider if you’re looking for a top quality steering wheel. It’s settled somewhere between the T150 and the T300 in terms of usability and quality in my opinion.
It has a good dual-motor force feedback system that works well and will help to give you a realistic experience when you’re driving. It’s definitely a good experience using the G29, even if it does fall slightly behind the T300 in terms of quality.
One thing that I particularly like about the G29 is the layout. It’s a definite step up if you compare the G29 to the older version (the G27) and you’re going to notice a massive difference between the two in terms of sound quality and how well it works. The layout of the G29 is nice, and performance wise it drives well too.
In all honesty, I wouldn’t ever pick a Logitech over a Thrustmaster – especially after using the T300, which was particularly impressive. But if I needed to get a steering wheel for the Xbox, then Logitech would be my first port of call and the 920 would likely be my steering wheel of choice.
Overall, these are two of the better steering wheels that you’re going to find on the market – there aren’t too many that come close to these two, especially if you consider their price.
If you’re looking for something for PS4, then I’d definitely look towards the T300 as my choice of steering wheel. It’s undoubtedly a better option in my opinion, and you’re going to notice a difference between the two – the T300 gives a more realistic drive, whilst the G29 is a little underwhelming in comparison.
But if you need a steering wheel for Xbox, then you could opt for the G920, which is just the Xbox version of the G29. It’s still a great steering wheel, and you’ll be more than happy with either option.
Last update on 2019-01-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API